Friday, April 23, 2010

Shrinky Dink Hell

This year, my hubby and I are going on another beach trip with our good friends Steve and CW. I wanted to do a craft while at the beach and started searching sites for a really fun and easy craft. I came across Shrinky Dinks. I thought to myself, this should be tons of fun! We can take the supplies with us, they won't take up much space while traveling (12 hour drive ugh), and they give almost instant gratification. Besides, who doesn't remember (those of us of a certain age) watching the little buggers shrink up in the oven?

I shot CW a message on facebook and she sounded stoked to try them too!! So the next day, I trecked out to look for the supplies I would need to create my very own charms (thats what I was planning on using them for) When I got to the store, I saw that they now have Shrinky Dinks that can be printed from your computer printer! I was totally stoked! This gave me endless possibilites for creativeness! lol.

Long story short, I got my first batch of charms with my initial on it, cut them out, and put them into my little toaster oven. They didn't turn out like I expected them to. I then tried another batch, this time a larger design... Yeah... total disappointment...
Burned and crinkled.

Crinkled.

This is the only one that came out decent.


So I guess its a big N-O on the Shrinky Dinks. I checked out many websites for troubleshooting and did as instructed. The ones that burnt was because I kept putting them in the oven to get them hot to try to flatten them out. (and I did forget about one set lol)

Oh well, Epic Fail!! Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment